Some people are naturally assertive, others are less so. How important is it to be assertive? Do we really get what we want by showing our confidence, and being the assertive type? Some would argue that yes, we do. Confidence will get us to the top of our game, and just merely believing that we can accomplish our dreams, will get us there. Assertiveness means being the type to achieve the things you want. How do we raise an assertive child?
There are also many other questions that we, as parents, need to ask ourselves.
How assertive do we want our children to be? Do we want them to take liberties in class? Do we want our children to speak up often? Ask a lot of questions? Buck the teacher? In a matter of speaking, I want my boys to do all of that. Within reason of course. I don’t want them to be disrespectful, but I do want them to ask the questions that they have. I don’t want them to be scared to ask questions. I want them to feel comfortable in asking questions, and more importantly, standing up for what’s right! In this world, there are too many people who are fearful, and too afraid to stand up for what’s right!
Here are some tips to give our children on how to build more confidence.
- Talk about it
- Model it – Remain Calm, Make Eye Contact, Use a clear, confident voice
- Stand tall, shoulders back, arms should be at sides.
- Give them 3-5 assertive statements
10 Steps to Help Build Assertiveness
- Talk about boundaries
- Explain why assertiveness is important
- Respect and praise your child’s assertions
- Respect your child’s privacy
- Encourage your child to express their feelings
- Encourage extracurricular activities – build confidence
- Model Assertiveness
- Put your child in charge of decisions
- Teach your child to manage emotions and handle disappointment
- Teach your child to follow through
So it’s actually super important that our children are assertive and confident. Let’s help to rebuild a world where all children feel comfortable speaking up. Because only when this world exists, will we have adults who are confident, and comfortable in speaking their minds, and holding on to what is right and true. There will no longer be a world where there are those who are too fearful to stand up for what’s right.