When visiting Hawaii, or moving to Hawaii, people will hear the saying “Live with the Aloha Spirit!” or “Live Aloha!” If you haven’t lived in Hawaii for a long period of time, and are new to the islands, you will ask yourself, what does that MEAN though? And that’s OK. Not everyone knows what that means, or really, what the word “Aloha” really means.
Simply put – Aloha means LOVE. Aloha is not a definition, but really a lifestyle. When you think of Aloha, think of kindness, compassion, understanding, empathy, all the things that mean LOVE.
To “Live with the Aloha Spirit” means to live your life with love! Live your life and practice compassion, kindness, and empathy!
- Show compassion to the homeless family on the street, or on the beach. Give food, blankets, lamps, anything that will make their survival easier. Because living in Hawaii is expensive, and not easy all the time.
- Help Tutu across the street, she’s struggling to make the light before it turns red.
- Also, help Tutu carry her groceries and heavy bags
- Volunteer (Whenever you can, where ever you can).
- Feed the stray cats, dogs, birds, etc. and show kindness to them!
- Don’t hurt anyone or anything!
- Show kindness to those going through a hard time, no matter who they are, no matter if they have wronged you in the past. Show kindness.
- Smile at everyone.
- Lend an ear to those who need it.
- Lend a shoulder to cry on.
- Never judge! You don’t know everyone’s entire story.
- Drive with Aloha – the traffic in Hawaii is affecting us ALL that live and visit here, you might as well sit back and show kindness on the road.
- Help your neighbors! If you see them struggling with anything, yardwork, housework, then lend a hand!
- Help your community!
- Fight for those who cannot fight for themselves!